JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Chican@ & Latin@ Studies Program Student Assistant
A student hourly/work study position is available for the Spring 2022 semester in the Chican@ & Latin@ Studies Program. The position may be extended to future semesters at the discretion of the Program’s Director. This position requires general clerical and administrative tasks, maintenance of the CLS Library collection, and assistance on special projects as assigned by the CLS staff.
Assist the Administrator and other CLS Staff in carrying out duties related to the tasks outlined below. These may include but are not limited to:
- Maintaining the workspace in the Library and ARC
- Assisting in charging/discharging library materials
- Assisting in the cataloging of library materials
- Assisting in set-up and clean-up for the CLS Gatherings and other events
- Distributing documents, including time-sensitive documents to appropriate campus offices
- Creating/developing and distributing flyers and other graphic materials
- Assisting with CLS events, and in producing publications
- Working on special projects for and with staff and faculty
- Representing the CLS Program at resource fairs and other tabling events
- Helping the Program with events co-organized with student organizations
Students in the Chican@ & Latin@ Studies Certificate Program will get first consideration for the position. Work-study status is preferred. The CLS Program handles confidential student records and sensitive matters. The successful candidate must be able to maintain and discuss matters in a confidential and respectful manner. Other skills required include:
- Familiarity with PC-compatible hardware/software, and performance
- Proficiency in MS Office suite products especially word processing and spreadsheet
- Attention to detail and ability to follow through on assignments with minimal supervision
- Ability to prioritize, work under pressure and maintain deadlines
- Ability to interact in a friendly and professional manner with staff, students, and general public
- Flexibility and willingness to learn new skills
- Occasional lifting of items of approximately 30 pounds or less
Additional Skills Preferred: Graphic design or experience with Photoshop, Publisher, web CMS system (WordPress) and/or experience cataloging library materials. Job preference is to hire students who can commit to working in the position for 1 year or more and whose class schedule can accommodate work hours during the Community Gatherings (11:00 am – 1:00 pm Thursdays).
TO APPLY FOR THE POSITION: Send a copy of your résumé, a cover letter indicating why you would like to work for CLS, a copy of your class schedule for Spring 2022, information about any work study award you may have, and the names and contact information of two work references to: Peter Haney (email@example.com) or drop off application to CLS Office 312 Ingraham Hall. Please direct any questions about the application process to Peter Haney at (608) 263-4486.
DEADLINE: February 18th (to begin job orientation the week of February 28, 2022)